Wednesday 10 April 2019

Submissions Matter

‘In it to win it’ is a well recognised catchphrase, the moral being you cannot win the lottery if you haven’t bought a ticket. Which doesn’t mean you will win because you buy a ticket: but for certain you will never win unless you do.

Submitting one’s writing is the same. Sending work out provides no guarantee of success. But not doing so is a sure way to fail.

I know this lesson so well yet have to remind myself of it on a regular basis.

I had a small piece of writing, exactly 75 words, published yesterday on Paragraph Planet. There was a time when I was featured on the ‘planet’ most months. But it has been a while since I’ve been there. And the reason? Failure to submit!

It’s so obvious really. Writing which never leaves our desks will never be published.

Why not give the Paragraph Planet daily writing competition a go? It’s a good way to warm up the writing muscle, rather as a musician uses scales before a performance. Be sure to let me know if you do enter so I can watch out for your name.

2 comments:

  1. Sending out work certainly improves our chances of having it accepted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try a 75 word story- it will be challenging...

    ReplyDelete