Wednesday 29 April 2015

Bea Quintessential

This week I consented to do something which goes against every introverted grain in my body. I have agreed to take my place on The People’s Friend website under their “Getting to know you” section.

Apart from the discomfort of talking about myself, there is also a nagging voice whispering that I have no place amongst such prolific and talented authors as Della Galton and Wendy Clarke, to name but two. I silence it by responding that the magazine’s intention is to introduce a variety of writers, both longstanding and newer voices, to their readers.

Then came a decision on the photograph. Oh, horror! Do you dislike looking at pictures of yourself? Seeing ourselves as others see us. My hair doesn’t lie right, with loose strands and sticky up bits; the make-up on closer scrutiny has been badly applied; the double chin is dangerously exposed. But perhaps it is only we who look at ourselves so critically. Other people never notice trivialities but see beyond them: what a lovely smile, you look so happy, etc, etc.

So I did it! I wrote a few paragraphs about me, about my writing journey, my family and my hobbies. If you want to read about the quintessential me, then this is the place to go: www.thepeoplesfriend.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. I can understand why writing 'a few paragraphs' about yourself made you feel self conscious. Writing about people we've made up is a lot more fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. We can make them a lot more exciting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off to read it now. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

    ReplyDelete