Monday 13 July 2015

Bea Z...?


When I began my blog in February 2015, I wanted a structure to help me focus and prevent me simply rambling.  I decided that my posts would be brief and each would be alphabetical. (I should explain here that I had not at that time heard of the A-Z Blogging Challenge before I began. What I thought was an original structure turns out not to be so. Sigh. Originality is so hard to achieve.)

The title would be my name followed by a single adjective or adverb to explain something about me, my writing journey, my successes and failures. Hence I began with ‘Bea Afraid’ and progressed steadily through the alphabet to ‘Bea Yearning’. Today I reach the letter Z and find myself, uncharacteristically, lost for words. For a writer that’s an uncomfortable position.

There aren’t many suitable descriptive words beginning with the letter Z: zany; zealous; zoological?  But none of them are appropriate to me today.

So instead I am reflecting on my first five months of blogging. I have appreciated the discipline of writing regularly. I have enjoyed occasions when readers have been kind enough to leave a comment. Even when postings have been without comment they have sometimes been shared on Twitter which is gratifying. But above all I have found the process worthwhile.

Now I have reached my 26th post I have decided to carry on blogging alphabetically. But perhaps next time I shall not limit myself to adjectives. It may make titles easier to find!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Bea on reaching z... quite an achievement, and sometimes you don't feel like blogging, or wonder what to put. Then again, there's always something to say if you're a story-teller. Loving your blog, and look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Susan. I have just returned from a much-extended holiday and ready to start blogging again!

      Delete