Wednesday 3 February 2016

Bea-ing Vain


We writers are insecure creatures, aren’t we? It’s partly because an inevitable part of our working life is rejection. When we submit a piece of work we have to wait and see if anyone else likes it enough to buy it for publication or to shortlist it in a competition.




Perhaps it’s those rejections which make the successes when they come so sweet. Today is one of those golden days for me. I have two short stories on the newsagents’ shelves, one in The People’s Friend and the other in Yours. I’m really chuffed about this week’s double success.

 


But before I get too big headed, I would do well to remember my adult daughter’s opinion of one of these two stories. ‘It’s a bit boring.’ (I shan't tell you which one, of course.)

Oh well, that will help keep my feet firmly on the ground!

9 comments:

  1. There's nothing vain about being proud of your success. Congratulations on your double.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patsy. The rejections still far outweigh the successes which helps to keep everything in perspective.

      Delete
  2. Congrats! Looking forward to another double soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Unless I write and submit more stories soon it won't happen again.

      Delete
  3. I should add that I dispute my daughter's point of view. She's entitled to it (even if she is wrong).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations as I understand People's Friend is really hard to get into, so very well done. I find it very hard to write to a magazine's guide lines. I just want to do my own thing. Consequently the big mags are not fighting over my stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very exacting, Maggie, but once in they are lovely to work with and provide a lot of feedback and encouragement.

      Delete
  5. Not sure if I have given you my blog address. This time I'll get it right!
    https://www.outofyorkshireblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete